Prevent Holiday Stress with These Simple Tips
Tips for a Stress-Free Holiday Season
Tips for Enjoying the Holidays
The holidays can be a busy and stressful time for the whole family. Consider these tips from our mental health experts for a stress-free holiday season:
- Evaluate and prioritize what really matters to you. Keep it simple.
- Set limits, delegate and ask for help as needed.
- Be flexible. Focus on the joys of the holiday season.
- Plan a holiday budget and work to stay within it.
- Consider giving homemade gifts and focus on being in the moment with those you love.
- Create new traditions. Choose a few traditions to hold onto and be open to creating new ones.
- Don’t abandon healthy habits. At the same time, allow yourself to indulge a bit without judgement.
- Plan ahead. Procrastination is stressful.
- Don’t over schedule yourself. Allow personal time to enjoy peace and solitude. Say “no” to invitations you may regret.
- Practice thankfulness every day. Research indicates that it strengthens brain pathways leading to positive physical, social and emotional outcomes.
- If you are a parent, recognize that children get very excited during the holidays. Engaging in regular routines, as much as possible, can help maintain balance.
- For some people the holiday season can trigger feelings depression and anxiety.
If you are having persistent problems with your daily routines, reach out for support and consider seeking mental health services.