About the Betsy Vander Velde Award
The Betsy Vander Velde Award honors and recognizes the work of an individual or organization in the Kansas City community committed to improving the lives of at-risk children and families. This award is given each year at our annual gala, the Blue Carpet Event.
The award honors of Vander Velde’s selfless dedication to improving the lives of children and families — work which she carried out as the President and CEO of The Family Conservancy for 21 years before her 2014 retirement.
Award Criteria and Selection Process
- Provide valuable service to improve quality of life for others in their community.
- Assist families in achieving their full potential.
- Dedicated to advocating for the most at-risk children or families in our community.
- Can be a community volunteer or a person or organization whose professional focus is that listed above in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
- Cannot be currently employed by or serving on the board of The Family Conservancy.
Award Selection Process
A selection committee, made up of a group of board and staff members of The Family Conservancy, will review all nominations and select one recipient of the Betsy Vander Velde award. The recipient will be notified in August and the honoree will be recognized at TFC’s Blue Carpet Event.