Five facts about charitable giving in the United States
Giving USA released their analysis of giving in the United States. Here are five facts that stood out.
- Charitable giving grew by $16.8 billion to a record-breaking total of $390.05 billion in 2016.
- Seventy-two percent of giving came from individuals - $281.86 billion.
- Gifts to religious organizations made up 32 percent of giving, followed by education at 15 percent, human services at 12 percent, foundations at 10 percent, health at 8 percent, public-society benefit, arts/humanities, international affairs, environment/animals and gifts to individuals.
- The fastest growing sector of giving was environment/animal organizations. Giving to this sector increased by 7.2 percent in 2016.
- Giving by bequest decreased by 9 percent. This was the only contribution source that declined.